Prep time: 10 minutes
Setting time: 30 minutes
I often get overwhelmed during the holidays by all the materialism. I absolutely LOVE giving gifts, but struggle with the insane amount of money spent, and goods wasted, when we should really be focusing on cultivating quality time with family and friends, and bestowing each other with goodness that comes from the heart. For me, nothing comes from the heart more than home-cooked nutrient-dense treats, like this chocolate bark. It’s one of my staple party favours and holiday gifts, and is always a massive hit with whoever enjoys it. Best of all, it’s quite possibly one of the easiest sweet treats I make, which is another reason why it’s one of my hectic-holiday-season go-to’s. Superfoods like goji berries, golden berries, and mulberries are high in vitamins and minerals that support immune function, cognitive ability, and skin health. Nutrient-dense nuts like almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts will provide some added protein, as well as some heart healthy and anti-inflammatory properties, and pumpkin seeds are full of iron for energy and mood balance, as well as general stamina. Of course cacao has been shown to improve mood, reduce PMS symptoms, and is widely recognized as an aphrodisiac…so in other words, the gift that keeps on giving ;)
- 1 lb. (454 g) dark organic chocolate (at least 75%)
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds, chopped
- ¼ cup raw almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup raw hazelnuts, chopped
- ½ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup dried black currents
- ¼ cup dried golden berries
- ¼ cup dried mullberies berries
- ¼ cup dried fig, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and pour over baking sheet and spread it out evenly until it’s about 1/8 - ¼ inch think
3. Sprinkle the nuts and fruit evenly overtop and then sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.
4. Cool in a fridge for about 30 minutes or until fully hardened.
5. Break into rough pieces and eat right away or store in fridge for later.