Prep time: 10 minute
Cook time: 20 minutes
Setting time: 30 minutes
Makes roughly 8 servings
Fruit cake has garnered itself a bad rap. Often dry, overly sweet, and altogether odd, fruit cake is the dreaded gift of the holiday season. But what if I told you it didn’t have to be that way? What if there was a fruit cake that was moist, delicious, and super healthy?? Free of grains, sugar, dairy, and eggs, this badboy is a surefire hit. In fact, it’s so good, you’ll find yourself serving it to friends and family all year long!
Grain-Free Fruitcake with Cashew "Creamcheese" Icing (paleo, vegan)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup almond-hazelnut butter
- ¾ cup pitted dates (softened)
- ½ coconut oil, melted (plus extra for greasing)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pure apple sauce
- 2 tbsp almond milk (or more if needed)
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 ½ cups dried fruit, chopped (I used raisins, currents, cranberries, turkish apricots, fig, goji berries + cherries).
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine almond flour, coconut flour, spices, salt, baking soda, + baking powder in large mixing bowl and mix together.
3. In a food processor combine nut butter, coconut oil, dates, maple syrup, vanilla, almond milk + apple sauce until smooth.
4. Add wet mix to dry mix and stir until well combined. At this point you may need to add a little more almond milk if the mix is very dry and crumbly.
5. Fold in nuts and dried fruit until just combined.
6. Grease a 9" round baking pan with coconut oil. **Adding a circular cutout of parchment paper to the bottom of the baking pan will make removal even easier!
7. Press cake batter into pan and smooth out top.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until slightly browning on the edges and cooked through (you can check with a long toothpick).
9. Remove from oven and let sit for about 30 minutes to cool.
10. Take a butter knife and loosen the edges from the baking pan.
11. Placing your hand on the cake, gently flip the cake over to remove the pan and carefully transfer it to a wired baking rack to further cool.
12. Allow to fully cool before putting icing on top (optional) **Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5days
Vegan “Creamcheese” Icing
*Makes about 2 cups of icing
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup coconut manna
- 6 tblsp raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
1. Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
2. Store in fridge until ready to use.