If you’re like me, you spend your fall season in a pumpkin-y haze. Pumpkin-spice lattes, pumpkin pie smoothies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, and then of course classic pumpkin pie…if there’s a way for me to infuse pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger into something I’ll do it.
Well, here’s one more seasonal treat to add to the list – pumpkin pie power balls! Not only do these bite-sized little wonders trick your taste buds into thinking you’re having a mouthful of your favourite fall-time dessert, they’re loaded with a super-star roster of nutrient-dense ingredients to keep you feeling strong and vibrant during the gloomy autumn days. Pop one of these badboys in your mouth following a workout, in between meals, or as a dessert for a donut-hole-esque treat that won’t send your body on a blood-sugar roller-coaster.
Pumpkin puree: High in vitamin A, vitamin C, and carotenoids, pumpkins are great for eyesight, skin, and immune health. They’re also loaded with potassium, helping with electrolyte and mineral balance following a workout or heavy sweat-sesh. Pumpkins are also a great source of fibre – a necessary component for healthy digestive function.
Almond butter and flour: Loaded with antioxidants, vitamin E, and manganese, almonds are great for tissue repair, skin health, and immunity. The magnesium hit also helps with stress management, blood sugar balance, and blood pressure control. Almonds are also a pretty solid source of protein for added satiety and muscle maintenance.
Coconut oil and flour: Coconut-based products (oil, flour, chips etc.) in their whole natural form are one of the best immune boosters thanks to their antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic properties. Coconuts are also high in antioxidants, and can improve skin and hair. Not only that, but they’re super-packed with vitamins and minerals (calcium, magnesium etc.) that are integral for bone and teeth health, and the healthy fats diminish blood sugar imbalances while keeping you satiated and energized for longer.
Golden flax meal: With solid levels of omega-3’s, B-group vitamins, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, and selenium, flax seeds are some pretty impressive little powerhouses. They’re also loaded with fibre, and a decent amount of protein, both necessary for weight balance.
Collagen powder: Amongst the many amazing benefits of consuming high quality collagen, the shining glory of this nutrient is its unrivalled ability to repair tissue. Whether reducing symptoms of leaky gut, healing injured or overworked muscles and tendons, or just giving your skin that incredible youthful glow, collagen is a serious winner in the nutrition world!
Pumpkin seed protein powder: One of my favourite forms of protein powder, a minimally processed pumpkin seed protein powder is a super safe and highly beneficial addition to your power balls and smoothies. In addition to many of the nutritional benefits mentioned for pumpkins in general, pumpkin seeds are also high in iron - a serious pro for any of you athletes out there looking for greater energy and physical output.
Maca: Maca is amazing for hormone balance, energy improvement, immune health, and general vitally. You can also try a gelatinized version for better integration and texture in your recipes.
Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and ground ginger: Whether you’re enjoying the blood sugar lowering effects of the cinnamon, the immune boosting benefits of the clove and ginger, or the anti-inflammatory nature of the nutmeg, the classic pumpkin spices are a winning combination health-wise.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup dates, soaked in hot water for a minimum of 30 minutes, then drained
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup golden flax meal
- ¼ cup protein powder, collagen powder and/or maca powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp clove
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, blend together soaked dates, pumpkin puree, almond butter, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour, almond flour, flax meal, spices, sea salt, coconut sugar, and powder of choice (protein powder, collagen powder, maca, or a combination of all three).
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, pulsing them in with your food processor or mixing them in a separate bowl with a fork.
- Make sure the mixture is quite dense, but not too crumbly, adding extra almond/coconut flour, or coconut oil to balance it out if necessary (it should be the texture of VERY thick cookie dough).
- Form roughly 12-15 balls, and roll in topping of choice (unsweetened coconut flakes, hemp hearts, coconut sugar), or leave bare.
- Place the balls in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, and enjoy!
*Note: Store your power balls in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze to enjoy later.